Not sure what to do with your discarded items?
We haul away your recycling & donations for free after an organizing session!
Recycled Reads / Austin Public Library
- used books, magazines, and movies.
- theater props and equipment, children's books, arts & crafts supplies, and more.
Dress for Success
-clean professional women's clothing & accessories in good condition (on a hanger).
- comfortable shoes, socks, new underwear, backpacks, coats and blankets in the winter months.
Top Drawer Thrift / Project Transitions
- clothing, furniture, housewares, and more.
APA Thrift / Austin Pets Alive
- towels, yoga mats, dog kennels, toys, dog food, and more (at the shelter).
- clothing, shoes, accessories, housewares, and more (at APA Thrift on Burnet.
- clothing (especially for women and children), housewares, and more.
Austin Creative Reuse
- most arts & crafts supplies including textiles, raw materials, jars, candles, buttons, jewelry remnants, and more.
Vincentian Family Center & Thrift / Society of St. Vincent DePaul
- clothing, furniture, housewares, and food pantry items
Austin Resource Recovery
-many materials not accepted in single-stream recycling (such as styrofoam, hard plastics, fabrics), plus hazardous materials like paints, household chemicals, and more.
Twice a year I turn my home into a boutique-like space to host my semi-annual "Swap & Sip" -- a clothing swap, where we have mimosas and shop each others no-longer-loved clothing, shoes, and accessories. It gives me good reason to clean out my closet and invite my friends to do the same right around the changing of the seasons.
No matter how organized we are, it's necessary to regularly inventory what we own, because we are constantly growing and changing physically and psychologically. Part of self-care is expressing ourselves creatively, and fashion is a great way to do that. While it's not sustainable to all constantly buy brand new clothes every time our mood changes, I happen to know that we all have some items in our closets that are no longer loved. Clothing swaps allow us to unleash the potential of those clothes, while saving ourselves some money, giving our closets some more space, and refreshing our styles. At the end of the swap, the remaining clothes are donated to some amazing non-profit organizations in need of clothing and accessories. Everybody wins!